Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Healthcare PR Campaign by the Insurance Industries

I started this blog as part of a class project to take advantage of an opportunity to follow, write about and continue to educate myself about the issues from Obama’s platform that I felt were the most important and also about Obama himself as a politician and leader. I will most closely watch developments and write about healthcare, new energy, and closing corporate tax loopholes, which were the main issues of the platform Obama ran on.

I do not consider myself to be a supporter or an opponent of Barack Obama as a politician, but have my own ideas about these issues. I will be writing about them from my own perspective citing the influences that have shaped my views, in relation to the President’s policies. So this will not be the typical Obama supporter’s blog about the presidency, I want to try and be more objective and rational than most of his supporter’s blogs and not afraid to criticize or disagree with him or things he says. I am hoping to create a record of the Obama presidency from the eyes of a white working class college student from rural upstate New York. Growing up on hip hop and with parents who lived through the civil rights movement of the 1960’s, issues of race are something that I see as critically important in the world around me. That will be a major part of this blog too. I don’t think I need to include any more personal info about me, but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.


My first thought is how can people be missing the real issues involved in the current “debate(debacle)”, namely the influence of special interests, health insurance firms, and drug companies on the basic functioning of our democracy.

The insurance industry is funding the FreedomWorks organization with Dick Armey as it’s former chair(I think chair) who has publicly stated his opposition to having any government health safety net program for the public. I won’t get into blaming the media, investigative journalism has been dead for way too long, I will stay focused on my disappointment with the lack of the people as well, to recognize the hijacking of our democractic process that took place with this campaign waged by the health insurance industry to kill reform. And I will add another point, babyboomers look like complete idiots right now in my eyes, being manipulated to leave the health insurance industry the way it is(by opposing reform, hell it might even make the insurance companies more brazen in denying people coverage) right before they all retire.

I will pass that message on to my Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment